Sunday, February 16, 2014

Waffles

American holiday + school holiday = sleeping in.


At least for the rest of my family. I think we were a little tired out from shopping at Ikea for 4 hours yesterday...that store is humungous!


But I woke up this morning ahead of them, and was hungry. I could tell my mom was going to make waffles, so I mixed them up instead. I did not want to wait two more hours for someone to make me waffles!


These waffles are great because they aren't too sweet, so while they taste good plain, you can also put nutella, jam, syrup, or whatever else makes you happy on them. In the summer strawberries and whipped cream is really yummy!


Some time ago, we discovered that these also freeze well. My mom always makes extra for the freezer so that we can have waffles on school mornings, too!


Waffles
Makes 6 Belgian waffles

Ingredients:
4 eggs (separated)
2 cups milk
3 cups flour
5 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2/3 cup melted butter

Directions:
1. Beat egg yolks 1 minute.
2. Add milk and beat 1 more minute.
3. Add dry ingredients and beat 4 minutes on high.
4. Add butter and mix until blended.
5. Beat egg whites until soft peaks are formed. Fold egg whites into flour and milk mixture.
6. Cook in waffle iron; these waffles work best in a Belgian waffle iron, but also work in a normal waffle iron.
*Note: These freeze well. Reheat in microwave for a softer waffle, and in the toaster or toaster oven for a crisper waffle.

Recipe from: Margie DeVries

No comments:

Post a Comment