Thursday, April 17, 2014

Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar

Turns out my dad doesn't like squash...

...which I only found out after I put a dish of it on the dinner table.

My dad and I are the only ones here this week while my mom and sister are in the Netherlands. That means I got the squash all to myself. However, this was not a bad thing.

I'm actually quite proud of this squash–multiple things could have gone terribly wrong with it!
1. The butternut squash was sitting on our counter for absolutely forever. I have no idea how long they last, but apparently a really long time!
2. It was my first time making it, and there was no set recipe...just a few quick directions from my mom before she left.


I did find out a few things though...
It is difficult to fill a jelly roll pan with water, then put it in the oven. Yep, it spilled. Probably putting it in the oven then filling it with cupfuls of water would be a better idea. You learn by making mistakes!
It is also very hard to get the pan back out of the oven when the squash is finished. I have no ideas for an easier way than just being careful, and not filling the pan too full with water.
The butternut squash is very hot when it is done! I was a little impatient, and went right at it after one minute of cooling. I survived, but next time I think I'll wait five minutes.


When all was said and done though, the squash was very yummy–and as a bonus, I didn't have to share!


Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
water
1 butternut squash
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions:
1. Cut butternut squash in half.
2. Scrape out seeds.
3. Poke holes in the outside skin using a fork.
4. Fill a cookie sheet with edges (such as a jelly role pan) with about 1/2 - 3/4 inches of water.
5. Place butternut squash halves face down in water. Bake at 350ºF for 1 hour.
6. Carefully remove from oven. Place butternut squash halves on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes.
7. Using a spoon, scrape squash from skin into a serving dish.
8. Mix in about 1/4 cup butter (adjust to taste).
9. Sprinkle brown sugar on top, until mostly covered, about 1/4 cup. Serve hot.

Recipe from: Kris Faber

No comments:

Post a Comment