Thursday, July 30, 2015

Tortilla Soup

This soup is super easy. Like throw-it-together-in-5-minutes easy. And yet, I still managed to have an accident while making it the other day.


I'm not even really sure how it happened. One minute I was happily cutting up frozen chicken, the next, I was watching the measuring cup of chicken fall off the counter, almost in slow motion. My hand must have bumped it, and there was nothing I could do to stop it. It was on the floor. And then, as if to rub it in, my friend's cat came while I stood there staring at it, and my friend snapped a picture. Whoops. Into the trash that half cup of chicken went.


My family introduced our friends to tortilla soup last time we stayed at their house (several months ago), and they loved it so much that this time I'm here, we just had to make it again. It was a gooooood idea. My stomach thanks me. Unfortunately, that also meant I had witnesses to the chicken episode, but what's life without chicken flying everywhere?

When we were making this soup, Hannah and I were on a roll. So, after throwing together the ingredients for tortilla soup, we also whipped up some cornbread and mashed some avocados for guacamole. Oh, and made a cheesecake. Just sayin'. Then after smelling the soup cook for a few hours, of course I ate waaaay too much of it at dinner; I just couldn't resist.


I would consider tortilla soup Tex Mex since it has both American and Mexican influences—but call it what you want. What really matters is that it's easy, it's warm, it's soupy, it's cheesy, you can scoop it up on tortilla chips and eat it (that's the best way, the only way), you can add sour cream or hot sauce to your bowl (not to mine, though). Tortilla soup is a definite favorite in my family; it's much requested, all year round.


Slow Cooker or Stove Top Tortilla Soup
Feeds 5-6

15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
3/4 cup chunky salsa
14 oz. can chicken broth
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup boneless skinless cooked chicken, cubed
16 oz. can refried beans
2 cups shredded cheese (such as cheddar or colby jack)
1 bag tortilla chips

1. In a large saucepan or a crock pot, combine all ingredients except cheese and chips.
2. Heat on stove until heated through, or in a slow cooker for 3-4 hours.
3. Add half of cheese. Stir until melted.
4. Serve soup in bowls, and top with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, and hot sauce.



Instant Pot Tortilla Soup

15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
3/4 cup chunky salsa
14 oz. can chicken broth
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup boneless skinless cooked chicken, cubed
16 oz. can refried beans
2 cups shredded cheese (such as cheddar or colby jack)
1 bag tortilla chips

1. Pour black beans, corn, salsa, chicken broth, water, and chicken into the Instant Pot. Give it a quick stir.
2. Put lid on Instant Pot and manual cook for 10 minutes. Make sure the valve is set to “sealing.” When the timer beeps, release the pressure release for 10 minutes and then move the valve to “venting.”
3. Remove the lid and take out the chicken. Shred it on a cutting board then add it back into the Instant Pot.
4. Pour in the can of refried beans and 1 cup of the cheese, stirring until the soup is creamy and smooth. If necessary, use sauté mode to help melt the cheese.
5. Ladle the soup into bowls, and top with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, sour cream, and hot sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment