Thursday, December 24, 2015

Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes

Packed with flavor, you can't go wrong with these festive cupcakes!



I've been missing cupcakes a lot lately. Last year with the cupcake business, I had cupcakes coming out of my ears, but since starting college I haven't been able to make any. Cupcakes are a labor of love in time and ingredients! However, I do have all of my supplies with me, just in case.

Thus, my holiday baking list includes: church windows, buckeyes (coming soon!), and the delicious peppermint mocha cupcakes that I saw on Sally's Baking Addiction. I picked a morning, and whipped these cupcakes up. It actually took a really long time because I knew where nothing was in my mom's new kitchen... But a few hours and two sore feet later I had a nice row of fresh cupcakes with pretty swirls of pink and white frosting. Well, some swirls were pretty—it was my first time doing two-toned frosting.


The frosting was actually some of the best I have tasted. I don't know if it was the use of cream instead of milk, the type of butter I used (salted cream), or what, but it was SO good! I may have licked my frosting spatulas clean ;)

Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes

Notes:
*Use instant coffee, not coffee granules.
*It is alright to use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour. Cake flour will make the cupcakes slightly softer.
*Buttermilk is essential. If you do not have real buttermilk, you can make a substitute:  mix 2 teaspoons white vinegar or lemon juice with 1/2 cup milk. Let sit for 5 minutes to curdle.
*Instead of heavy cream, milk or half-and-half can be used, but the frosting will not be as creamy.
*Immediately before serving, sprinkle on crushed candy canes; if done too far in advance, they will melt.
*To learn how to make swirled frosting: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/how-to-make-swirled-frosting/

Recipe from: http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/11/24/peppermint-mocha-cupcakes/

No comments:

Post a Comment