Sunday, December 15, 2013

Butter Frosting

This weekend I had an order of vanilla and chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting. They turned out very classic and elegant looking. And, I was told, they tasted great (I only tried the individual parts...not a whole cupcake)! This recipe is easy and versatile. Add food coloring, flavoring, nuts, sprinkles...the choices go on. Actually, this recipe makes too much frosting for what I usually need, so I halve it. But this time I made the full recipe, and it frosted all of my 36 cupcakes exactly. It sits nice and fluffy on top of the cupcakes! I used a pastry bag and a large star-shaped tip to frost these; they look a little like roses from the top.


After my mom and I made the cupcakes, my mom showed me how to use her nice camera. Nice, clear photos—and some playing around with backgrounds! I couldn't play long though because exam studying was calling...

Butter Frosting
Frosts about 36 standard sized cupcakes
Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter
2 pounds powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla (if you want a more white colored frosting, use clear vanilla)
extra milk
food coloring (optional)

Directions:
Allow butter to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a very large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in the 1/3 cup milk and the vanilla. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar. Beat in additional milk until frosting reaches spreading consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring. Makes about 4 1/2 cups.

Milk Chocolate Butter Frosting: Prepare as above, except melt 1 cup milk chocolate pieces; cool. Beat into the butter before adding the powdered sugar.
Chocolate Butter Frosting: Prepare as above, except substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar.
Strawberry Butter Frosting: Prepare as above, except beat 1/3 cup strawberry jam into butter before adding powdered sugar.
Irish Cream Butter Frosting: Prepare as above, except substitute Irish cream liqueur for the milk.
Coffee Butter Frosting: Prepare as above, except add 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder or coffee crystals to the butter or substitute strong brewed coffee for the milk.

Recipe from: Better Homes and Gardens


No comments:

Post a Comment