Thursday, July 24, 2014

Marcela Hazan’s Tomato Sauce with Butter and Onions

Can something taste bright? Is that a thing? Well, if it is, that is how I would describe this tomato sauce. The tomato flavor just pops in your mouth.


Actually, when I eating the pasta, my eyes almost popped out of my head. I found a hair in my pasta – oh the horror! Luckily I knew it was one of mine and it was in my pasta. It would have been very embarrassing for someone else to find it.


But then that hair had to go and insert itself in one of the better pictures I took? Really? I guess it could have been worse...I could have found the hair after the pasta was already in my mouth. Ew. Bad thought.

This sauce is brilliantly simple – I mean, that is what Marcela is famous for. If you haven't heard of her, you should read this interesting account of her life...after all, she did change the way Americans cook Italian food! We ate this sauce over trofie pasta that we picked up in Italy while we were there, a pasta traditionally used for pesto. Use whatever pasta makes you happy, or even put it on pizza!

Marcela Hazan’s Tomato Sauce with Butter and Onions
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
28 oz (800 g) whole peeled tomatoes from a can (San Marzano)*
5 Tbs. (70 grams) unsalted butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved
Salt to taste

Directions:
1. Put tomatoes, onion, and butter in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat.
2. Bring sauce to a simmer, then lower heat; keep sauce at a slow but steady simmer for about 45 minutes or until the fat floats free from the tomatoes. Stir occasionally, crushing large tomato pieces against the side of the pan.
3. Remove sauce from heat and discard the onion. Add salt (and pepper, if desired) to taste.
4. Serve on pasta or pizza. Add parmesan if desired.

*San Marzano tomatoes are preferred, however they may not be available. You can also use diced or puréed tomatoes, but they will need slightly less simmering time as they are already broken down. Using puréed tomatoes will also give the sauce less texture.

Recipe from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcela Hazan

No comments:

Post a Comment