Friday, November 15, 2013

Apple-Maple French Toast

What do I do on a cold fall morning when I have extra time? Cook of course. I think everyone likes it when I have extra time! This morning I made apple-maple French toast from marthastewart.com. It was perfect for fall. I highly recommend using real maple syrup for a full, great flavor.


Since only Elena and I were here this morning, I halved the recipe, which worked fine. I used slices of French bread about 3/4 inches thick each. I ended up with a little extra egg, so I poured it into the pan and cooked it like a pancake. It turned out to be the best (albeit, one of the only) egg pancakes I've ever eaten! I don't what made it so good—the cinnamon, the butter it was fried in, or the amout of milk in it. It was probably all three! (Sorry, I ate it before I could take a picture.)


I served the French toast in a bowl so that it could 'bathe' in the syrup. I think it was a good choice!


Elena actually slept through the whole cooking-and-eating process, and I got tired of waiting for her, sooooo...I brought her breakfast in bed. One condition though: I had to take her picture.


She looks happy.

You can also eat these like little pizzas, but it's a little messy if you get a lot of syrup!


Apple-Maple French Toast

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon
6 slices bread
2 tablespoons butter, plus more for serving
3 apples, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup maple syrup

Directions:
1. Whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, and a pinch of ground cinnamon in a wide-bottomed bowl. Soak peices about a minute on each side.
2. Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter, and add apples, stirring to coat until starting to caramelize. Add the water, cooking until water has evaporated and apples are tender, about 4 minutes.
3. Pour in the maple syrup and a dash of ground cinnamon; simmer for a minute to combine.
4. In a large, heated nonstick skillet, melt about 1 tablespoon butter and sauté the soaked bread until golden brown on each side, about 4 minutes. Place French toast in a bowl and top with apple-maple mixture, plus more butter if you'd like!

Recipe from: http://www.marthastewart.com/348627/apple-maple-french-toast?czone=food/produce-guide-cnt/summer-produce-recipes&gallery=275039&slide=348627&center=%3Fxsc%3Dsoc_pin_applemaplefrenchtoast_08152013&276955&crlt.pid=camp.RmRUoaqwHoQv

No comments:

Post a Comment